Thursday, May 20, 2010

Breakfast Smoothie/Shake



Here is a recipe for a smoothie/shake that was posted by a friend of mine. At first I was a little skeptical, but tried it anyway & it is really good and a great way to get lots of fruits & veggies!
It starts with Kale - which is loaded with vitamins especially raw! It is a powerful antioxidant, very high in beta carotene, vitamins k & c, lutein, zeaxanthin & fairly rich in calcium. And it is usually very affordable!
When I first read the recipe - which doesn't really have actual measurements, I was a little afraid to try it. I like clear measurement - 1 cup this, 1/2 cup that, etc. But I figured what the heck, I can do a handful of this instead. So I basically filled the container full of kale (after rinsing good), then added whatever fruit I could find -

a banana
two handfuls of blueberries
a peeled orange or 1 cup of orange juice,
a large spoonful of almond butter or other nuts or nut butter (for protein)
2 tbls. ground flax seed (only thing I actually measure)
frozen mango pieces
a kiwi

Basically just put in whatever fruit you have on hand. I also added in baby carrots for another vegetable - as long as they are little they get chopped up nicely. I just shove it all down in the container and put in my immersion blender and let it go to work! After a few minutes it is all nice and liquidfied! Trust me it tastes alot better than it looks and you do not taste the kale - I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment