Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Another Spring Favorite

Asparagus!
Unlike the rhubarb, we have managed to keep two patches of asparagus going that my in-laws started years ago. So long as the neighbor stays out of it, we usually have a decent amount each week. So I started looking for a different way to fix it besides steaming. I found this recipe for an Asparagus Soup in my weekly newsletter I receive from South Beach Diet.com. I don't exactly follow their diet, just like some of their recipes. : )

Serves 4


Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 1/2 pounds asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1 1/2" lengths
4 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
4 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion, garlic, and asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not brown.



Add broth, bring to a simmer, and cook until asparagus is just tender, about 10 minutes.



Remove from heat and carefully puree with a blender or hand blender. Return to the pan, gently reheat, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle each serving with some freshly grated Parmesan.





I adjusted the recipe a little because I only had 2 pounds of asparagus, so I only added 3 cups of broth and the consistency was just right.

DUCK UPDATE: As expected, the Blue-winged Teals have moved on, but the pair of Mallards have stayed around. The female has been investigating the edge of the hay field next to the pond.....maybe looking for a nest site? We can hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment